Finally a call has been taken. I am withdrawing my applications at LBS (Sloan) & IMD. Also I am dropping two other schools I was considering Queens & HEC.
More on the PGPX & ISB debate....
A friend of mine considers ISB a better option for me, although by a very low margin. Surprised? Well even I am. He is an IMD grad and is talking out of experience and has some logic behind what he says.
_______________________________________________
"
Like I said in a previous message - tough choice, but a nice choice to have.
My choice would by a very small margin, still be ISB for the reasons I have already stated. Average age of 27-29 is exactly what it is, an average. You will find people of your experience, and level. No school goes into admissions season fixing an average age for a class. It's incidental that most desiring an MBA are 27-29! So don't focus on this aspect too much.
Under normal circumstances, I would rate the Consulting / Immersion offered by the PGPX higher than the Exchange term offered by ISB. However, given how nascent the program is, I reserve my judgement on its effectiveness.
"
_______________________________________________
ISB's results are going to be out tomorrow. Normally I wouldn't have been too bothered. But my current state of mind has meant that the interest is kept alive !
In the end to clarify my own thinking, the choices I've already made-
- I want to specialise in manufacturing ops. Plus gain competencies in Finance, strategy and Leadership. Idea is to leverage my 10+ yrs WE in manufacturing ops. and get into a business leadership position by the time I am 40. This clearly means I am NOT looking for a career switch.
- I understand the need to international orientation in the context of increased globalisation. Fundamentally I lack this. Hence, international immersion / exchange programme would give me a preview of this.
- My focus industries in India : FMCG, Retail & Infrastructure. I want to build industry specific knowledge in these sectors and actively network in these domains.
2 comments:
I agree that..ISB is younger and energitic and considered to be more main stream than IIMA-PGPX.
IIMs are well known for their PGPs only.. and I feel that ISB is going to make mark globally just few years down the line..
Unfortunately for me, the writing is not so clear. IIM-A's vision to be in global top 20 schools by 2010 has resulted in creation of PGPX, which is open to international applicants unlike PGP.
The entry barrier of age (28) and work-ex(7 yrs) bring clear differentiation to all stake holders- applicants, students and recruiters. I see the quality of students for PGPX-II (I could be biased) better than those at many schools (not naming deliberately). Thats a draw for me to PGPX.
I can see truck loads of commitment from the school for PGPX, be it admissions/faculty choices/programme logistics.
So all in all PGPX, could be India's answer to IMD ( interms of profiles/experience/research etc)
Post a Comment