Friday, December 22, 2006

The Countdown has begun !

The countdown to reach Ahmedabad has begun ! It is now less than 100 days, assuming I will be reaching there a couple of days before 1st April 2007.

There are things I need to wrap up at work and there are so many other personal things I need to tie up. Most importantly managing the short change. I & my dear wife have been working to get admission for our son in a neighbourhood school near new campus, speaking to packers & movers companies, negotiating loans and...... phew!!..............notifying change of address to various people.

I am also keen to mentally be tuned into the programme. Coincidentally I just finished reading Pepper White's Idea Factory. The book is about Pepper White's graduate programme experience at MIT. I can identify with White's situation, as I see myself to be in a very similar situation. Next on my list is Snapshots from hell. Well, so much for orientation.

More importantly, being an engineer, I reckon I need to warm up on the finance courses. But I am not finding motivation and time. I got a copy of Brealey and Myers for Corp Finance and had difficulty completing the prologue so far ; ) One of my seniors at IIM-A suggests that I take it easy and just chill, because this luxury will be a mirage for next one year!
May be I should take his advice : )

BTW, the courses for term 1 are:
  1. Assessing and Creating Customer Value
  2. Analysis of Data
  3. Designing Operations to Meet Demand
  4. Financial Reporting and Analysis
  5. Firms and Markets
  6. Management Communication
  7. Modelling for Decisions
  8. Organization Behaviour
  9. Strategic Cost Management
  10. Strategic Human Resource Management
On the face of it, there aren't too many finance courses to deal with immediately. I will chat up with my banker participant; may be he can help.

It's going to be a long weekend and I am looking forward to this break. Merry Christmas to all my blog readers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me have the honour of the first comment!

If I remember Snapshot(An IIM friend made me read it 8 yrs back) by the second year you learn to beat the system. The problem in PGPX is that there is no luxury of a 2nd yr.

C_O

Raju Komaravolu said...

Yeah, you are right. All one year MBA programs have this handicap.

Over the years students at schools such as INSEAD, IMD and even ISB have developed mechanisms to deal with the situation described.

In the end, I guess the rigour in most one year courses doesn't allow much leeway.
:)

tejbir said...

hi

suggestion from ur banker participant (though i'd prefer if u call me banker friend):::::

if u r reading corporate finance for the very first time and are not conversant with balance sheet itmes and what they carry, spend a few days with Prasanna Chandra's Financial Management and a good class XI book keeping (accounting) textbook (my recommendation - Double entry book keeping by TS Grewal)

This is from my experience who suddenly found himself in the midst of financial matters as a banker after studying Physics!

All the best, my friend!

Raju Komaravolu said...

Thanks Tejbir.

Anonymous said...

When you come to the campus make sure you find some place to hide from the SCM cluster bombs (read as quizzes).

A word of advise from an engineer friend in PGPX-1. :-)