Monday, September 10, 2007

What does it take it to be an Entrepreneur?

Indeed we are lucky that Jerry Rao, an un-usual entrepreneur (who took up to Entrepreneurship at 45) was teaching us entrepreneurship. More interestingly, he was using an HBS case Jerry Rao: Diaspora and Entrepreneurship in the Global Economy. There are several learnings from the class. Jerry credits most of his evolution to his first & last employer Citibank, for whom he worked for 25 years after passing from IIMA in 1973.
  1. Flexibility with respect to autonomy at work
  2. A nurturing environment (Citi sponsored Jerry for a PhD)
  3. Jerry built lasting relationships and a network that stood for him in good stead. Jerry built a great reputation which later on helped him when started up.
  4. Jerry had rational and not adaptive expectations (belief in the principle that past does not predict future)
  5. Jerry developed new skills and abilities as he moved from one job to another (functional / geographical changes). He was willing to jettison zones of comfort and make personal sacrifices.
I have found Jerry's thoughts on Entrepreneurship very insightful.
  1. Have a clear sight of downside while starting up. Ask yourself "can you manage the downside?"
  2. Going public (too soon) brings it's own sets of pressures- a) it can prevent you from making strategic decisions (Q-Q pressures)
  3. Willing to give up cushy (corporate) lifestyle during initial years (very relevant for Xians)
  4. Trust and relationships built with different people all along your career would be quite useful.
I have chosen this course for sheer admiration for the prof. And this is turning out to be more than what I could ask for. Plus the quality of class discussions is hitting an all time high, thanks to the very talent peer group.

As Bryan Adams would say, some years down the line I am going to reminisce those were the best days of my life....

7 comments:

P K said...

Hi Raju,

I got shortlisted to the Essay/Interview process for PGPX III. As I prepare for these, I have a few questions to better understand the program. Can you help me with this? I can post my questions here or direct them to you in an email, whichever is convenient to you.

Thanks,
Paddy

Raju Komaravolu said...

Congrats!
Pls post your questions here.

Raju

P K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
P K said...

Appreciate your quick response.

1. Can you talk about the combination (and %) of teaching modes employed by the PGPX (case study/lecture/group projects)? Would be great if you can also mention the opportunities to interact with the industry (live projects/cases etc.)
2. Are students expected to be familiar with general management topics or are the subjects covered ground up?
3. Given that the PGPX is a recent program, are there opportunities to interact with PGP Alumni body?
4. How well (or not) is the program suited to career switchers? In other words, what % of the class typically switches careers?
5. The program doesnt require choosing a concentration and emphasizes on general management instead. Does this impact the number and availability of electives?
6. Can you provide a glimpse of social and professional networking opportunities (clubs, activities etc) available to PGPX students?
7. Finally, what do you like most about the program, and what do you like least?

My background:

-Age 27
-7 years experience in enterprise training development and delivery (both IT and non-IT)
-B.Sc (Chemical Engg), GNIIT, PGDBA from Symbiosis.

I understand time must be a premium, so I'll gladly take any advice you can provide. If it is easier and agreeable, I can call you for chat.

Thanks again for this opportunity.

Raju Komaravolu said...

I am putting responses these under the FAQ post, so that it may be useful for others as well.

Raju

P K said...

good idea.

Anonymous said...

Dear Raju,

I am very impressed with your highly descriptive blog.I have been shortlisted for the interview. May i take the liberty of asking you a few questions

1.How many persons have been shortlisted for the interview? What is the intake level likely to be?

2. From the database in the PGPX III yahoo group, it appears that the GMAT scores are very high/averaging 730. Do you think this represents the general picture given that the average scores for the last two courses was between 690-700.

3. What is the typical composition of the interview board? What are the questions likely to be asked?

4. Any general tips that you may like to give

with regards
Raju